Penn Access Summer Scholars (PASS) at Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania is a highly selective program for sophomores at Princeton, Haverford College, the University of Pennsylvania, Howard University, Morehouse College, Oakwood University, Spelman College, and Xavier University.
HPA advisers nominate finalists to Perelman, and Perelman faculty make the final selection of PASS Scholars. Participants stay in close contact with HPA advisers, who support them in the linkage process to Penn Med in their senior year.
- Sophomore (rising junior) at Princeton
- Minimum 3.5 science and cumulative GPA.
- Applicants from a racial/ethnic group underrepresented in medicine, from economically disadvantaged backgrounds, and/or first-generation collegegoers are especially encouraged to apply..
All applicants must submit:
- Resume including intended concentration and significant high school and college activities
- PASS Application
- Short essay responses
- One letter of recommendation from a Princeton professor, preceptor or adviser who can speak to the applicant's academic abilities and readiness for a career in medicine. Up to one additional letter may be submitted.
- Applications for Summer 2023 are closed. Applications for Summer 2024 will be available in November 2023.
PASS in the News
PASS featured in the Philadelphia Inquirer (July 2022)
|January 21, 2023||Application, resume, essays due to HPA|
|Jan 24 - 28||Interviews with selected applicants|
|January 30||Letter(s) of recommendation due to HPA|
|February||PASS finalists forwarded to U Penn|
|Summer 2023||First PASS summer research experience|
|2023-24||PASS Scholars meet with Princeton HPA advisers to discuss summer experiences and academic progress.|
|Summer 2024||Second PASS research summer experience|
|Fall 2024||PASS Scholars who intend to link attend HPA Applicant Info Session|
|January 2025||PASS Scholars participate in HPA Preapplication Interview|
|Fall 2025||Linkage students matriculate at Penn|