Penn Access Summer Scholars (PASS) at Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania is a highly selective program for sophomores at Princeton, Haverford College, the University of Pennsylvania, Howard University, Morehouse College, Oakwood University, Spelman College, and Xavier University. This program is designed for students underrepresented in medicine.
HPA advisers nominate finalists to Perelman, and Perelman faculty make the final selection of PASS Scholars. Participants stay in close contact with HPA advisers, who support them in the linkage process to Penn Med in their senior year.
- Sophomore (rising junior) at Princeton
- Minimum 3.5 science and cumulative GPA.
- Applicants must be from a racial/ethnic group underrepresented in medicine, from economically disadvantaged backgrounds, and/or first-generation college goers.
All applicants must submit:
- Resume including intended concentration and significant high school and college activities
- PASS Application
- Short essay responses
- One letter of recommendation from a Princeton professor, preceptor or adviser who can speak to the applicant's academic abilities and readiness for a career in medicine. Up to one additional letter may be submitted.
- 2021-22 PASS Application Instructions (google doc)
- 2021-22 PASS Application (google doc)
- PASS Brochure (pdf)
Applicant materials are due at 11:59 pm on Sunday, January 23, 2022. Letter of recommendation must be received by Monday, February 14.
PASS in the News
PASS featured in the Philadelphia Inquirer (July 2022)
|January 23, 2022||Application, resume, essays due to HPA|
|Jan 24 - 28||Interviews with selected applicants|
|February 14||Letter(s) of recommendation due to HPA|
|February||PASS finalists forwarded to U Penn|
|Summer 2022||First PASS summer research experience|
|2022-23||PASS Scholars meet with Princeton HPA advisers to discuss summer experiences and academic progress.|
|Summer 2023||Second PASS research summer experience|
|Fall 2023||PASS Scholars who intend to link attend HPA Applicant Info Session|
|January 2024||PASS Scholars participate in HPA Preapplication Interview|
|Fall 2024||Linkage students matriculate at Penn|