The following list of programs is by no means complete, but included here are programs where alumni have found success.
Undergraduate level programs
- George Squared is a partnership between Georgetown and George Mason that prepares 70-80 students for health professions school in a 20 credit certificate program. The G2 program is located at the Science and Technology Campus of George Mason University in Manassas, VA. Students can enroll in an optional summer at Georgetown to complete a Masters degree.
- Harvard Extension School Health Careers Program offers introductory and advanced science courses, mostly in the evening to accommodate working professionals.
- Northwestern University School of Professional Studies Advanced Studies in Biology: allows students to complete 4-8 advanced courses to prepare for professional programs.
- Rider University offers a postbac program through their Continuing Education option to complete prerequisites and take advanced courses.
- U Maryland Science in the Evening: flexible curriculum to complete prereqs and take advanced courses.
- U Penn College of Liberal and Professional Studies' Specialized Studies Program: access to an Ivy League education to bolster your academic credentials and update your knowledge of advanced topics in the biomedical science.
Master's level programs
- Boston University Master of Arts in Medical Sciences (MAMS) can be completed in one or two calendar years and includes a thesis component.
- Brody School of Medicine MS in Biomedical Sciences (NC) is a research-oriented program to prepare for the PhD or MD.
- Brown University Alpert School of Medicine ScM in Medical Sciences program will give you a rigorous foundation in biomedical science, as well as an opportunity to explore first hand the complexities of today's healthcare system.
- Case Western Reserve University's MS in Medical Physiology (Cleveland OH) offers rigorous coursework, individualized advising, flexibility, and access to medical school faculty.
- Columbia University Masters in Human Nutrition is a one year program that provides rigorous science courses within the context of nutrition.
- The Eastern Virginia Medical School Med Master's (Norfolk VA) has a twenty-year track record of helping students matriculate into medical school.
- Georgetown University Special Master's Program in Physiology is the first and longest running academic record enhancer program.
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai's MSBS program (NYC) is a research-intensive, three-semester program designed to prepare students for advanced studies. Students complete a thesis in biomedical sciences, systems biology, or neuroscience.
- Johns Hopkins University MS in Biotechnology is a one-year program. The focus is on academic enrichment in the sciences alongside professional development as a future health care provider, emphasizing teamwork, communication skills, and the psychosocial determinants of health.
- Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health offers programs that integrate public health and biomedical science. Princeton students have enjoyed programs including the MS in Molecular Microbiology and Immunology and the MHS in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology prior to attending medical school.
- Keck Graduate Institute in Southern California offers a number of post-bac program options, including a certificate and a master's degree. The program offers course work as well as extensive support on application preparation, including MCAT class, mock interviews, and visits to medical schools.
- The Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple Advanced Core in Medical Sciences (Philadelphia PA) is a full-time, 10-month program of graduate study taught by medical school faculty, with MCAT preparation for those who require additional prep. After successful completion of the program, students enter the MD Degree program.
- New York Medical College's Graduate School of Basic Medical Sciences (Valhalla NY) offers a traditional (two-year) and an accelerated (one-year) track.
- The MBS Program at Rutgers - RWJ (Piscataway NJ) provides courses and a mentored individual capstone project.
- Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences (College Station TX) offers a Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences with a non-thesis concentration. The curriculum designed for students who wish to gain academic preparation beyond the undergraduate degree before entering a professional program of study or employment in healthcare.
Postbac for professions outside of medicine
- Boston University Master of Arts in Medical Sciences (MAMS) Oral Health Sciences Track is designed specifically for students who wish to improve their credentials for dental school admission. As a MAMS Oral Health Sciences Track student, you will take courses at Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine (BUGSDM) as well as courses offered through GMS at the School of Medicine.
- The Rutgers NJMS Dental Scholars Program is designed for students interested in applying to U.S. dental schools. The Dental Scholars Program leads to a graduate degree (Master of Science or Master of Biological Science) that can also be used as a qualification for other careers.
Programs that focus on students from underrepresented and/or disadvantaged backgrounds
- The Associated Medical School of New York highlights postbac options at the University at Buffalo, NY Medical College, Renaissance School of Medicine at Stony Brook University, and SUNY Upstate. Some students are referred to the postbac programs in the process of their application to medical school and others may be offered admission to medical school as participants in the postbac programs.
- Georgetown Experimental Medical Studies Program for students from minority, disadvantaged and underserved populations, whose disadvantaged circumstances have contributed to modest academic credentials.
- The University of Connecticut Young Innovative Investigators Program focuses on recruiting underrepresented students to contribute towards developing a sustainable pipeline to increase diversity among the pool of academic scientists.
Postbac Program Resources
- AAMC Post-baccalaureate Premedical Programs Database: The Association of American Medical Colleges' database. Search according to program type and other program characteristics. This is the most comprehensive list of programs available.
- HPA Record Enhancer Programs Guide (google doc)
- HPA Career Changer Programs Guide (google doc)
- HPA Career of the Month highlighting postbac programs (Google Slides, Dec 2020)
- HPA Sample Template for gathering information about postbac programs (google sheet)