Administrative Assistant for Direct Primary Care Medical Practice (HIV Prevention & Treatment and Gay Men’s Health) in Greenwich Village, NYC
The Administrative Assistant is responsible for welcoming and providing incredible customer service to our patients, taking charge of extremely detailed administrative tasks, and assisting the doctor with the multifaceted challenges of the healthcare industry.
We are the first Direct Primary Care micropractice in NYC – where the primary focus is on the importance of the doctor-patient relationship. You will work closely with the doctor in this small, friendly, human-centered medical practice.
We specialize in HIV prevention and treatment, Gay Men’s health, and Travel Medicine. The doctor has previously volunteered with Doctors Without Borders, and has a teaching appointment at Columbia and NYU Medical schools. Dr. Vitt has been named a Top Doctor in NYC for the past six years in a row.
The position will provide a great opportunity for those interested in the healthcare/mental health professions (pre-med, post-bacc, pre-nursing, pre-PA, pre-therapist/psychology/social work, studying for MCATs or USMLEs, etc.), and will be an excellent resume builder for medical school/graduate school. You will have a chance to see the doctor-patient relationship up-close. Our previous employees have been successful in achieving admission to medical school.
We are extremely interested in hiring a recent college graduate who is taking a gap year prior to attending/applying to medical school or other healthcare/mental health graduate school program.
Full-time hours, Monday through Friday. This is not a part-time position.
Target start date is Late Spring 2021. The applicant will commit for approximately one year.
Please email resume and cover letter to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply right away if interested. The process is extremely competitive.
Application deadline is 5/1/2021.
For more information about the practice, please visit www.drvitt.com
● Provide incredible customer service to every patient
● Greet and welcome patients to the office
● Maintain absolute patient confidentiality and discretion in accordance with professional expectations as well as HIPAA policy
● Answer phone calls, emails, questions, etc. in a prompt and polite manner
● Manage patient scheduling, onboard new patients, and manage new patient inquiries
● Handle payments accurately and responsibly
● Enter patient information and scan, update, and file medical records accurately
● Communicate with patients, pharmacies, laboratories and other offices under doctor’s guidance
● Assist patients with coordination of care and navigation of the healthcare bureaucracy
● Coordinate laboratory specimens for send-out
● Help maintain a clean, courteous, and professional working environment
● Organize and maintain supplies
● Assist with appropriate clinical matters when necessary
● Assist with website content and possibly small research/writing projects
● Possibly assist with phlebotomy (blood-drawing)
● Interest in the healthcare/mental health professions (e.g. pre-med, post-bacc, pre-nursing, pre-PA, pre-therapist/psychology/social work, etc.)
● Interest in HIV Treatment and Prevention and Gay Men’s Health, Travel Medicine, Humanism in Medicine
● Recent undergraduate degree in any field
● Friendly and can-do attitude with patients and coworkers, and a great sense of humor
● Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
● Detail-oriented, a team player, and a flexible/adaptable nature to work in a continuously evolving environment
● Computer/IT proficiency
● Ability to speak Mandarin a plus, but not a requirement
● Follow COVID-19 infection control precautions
● Be immunized against standard communicable diseases (including but not limited to COVID-19 and Influenza) before starting the job
● Opportunity to put your idealism into action by helping a historically medically underserved community
● Resume-building opportunity to gain exposure to the healthcare profession
● Opportunity for pre-health mentoring
● Friendly and kind office environment
● Pay rate of $18 per hour or more, depending on candidate experience
● Paid time off
● Beautiful and historic Greenwich Village location
● Opportunity to study (MCAT/etc.) or work on school applications in the case of occasional downtime
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to, and do not discriminate on the basis of, race, color, religion, creed, gender/sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression (including transgender status), national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, pregnancy, military status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local laws