Administrative Assistant for Direct Primary Care Medical Practice (HIV Prevention & Treatment, Gay Men’s Health, Travel Medicine) in Greenwich Village, NYC
The Administrative Assistant is responsible for welcoming and providing incredible customer service to our patients, taking charge of administrative tasks, and assisting the doctor with the multifaceted challenges of the healthcare industry.
We are the first Direct Primary Care micropractice in NYC – where the primary focus is on the importance of the doctor-patient relationship. You will work closely with the doctor in this small, friendly, human-centered medical practice. We specialize in HIV treatment and prevention, Gay Men’s health, and Travel Medicine. The doctor has previously volunteered with Doctors Without Borders, and has a teaching appointment at Columbia and NYU Medical schools.
The position will provide a great opportunity for those interested in the healthcare/mental health professions (pre-med, post-bacc, pre-nursing, pre-PA, pre-therapist/psychology/social work, studying for MCATs or USMLEs, etc.), and could be an excellent resume builder for medical school/graduate school. You will have a chance to see the doctor-patient relationship up-close. Ability to speak Mandarin is a plus, but not necessary.
We are extremely interested in hiring a college graduate who is taking a gap year prior to attending/applying to medical school or other healthcare/mental health graduate school program.
Full-time hours, Monday through Friday. Target start date is mid-September 2019 (flexible).
Please email your resume to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the practice, please visit www.drvitt.com
● Provide incredible customer service to every patient
● Greet and welcome patients to the office
● Maintain absolute patient confidentiality and discretion in accordance with policy as well as HIPAA requirements
● Answer phone calls, emails, questions, etc. in a prompt and polite manner
● Manage patient scheduling, onboard new patients, and manage new patient inquiries
● Handle payments accurately and responsibly
● Accurately enter patient information and scan, update, and file medical records
● Communicate with patients, pharmacies, laboratories and other offices under doctor’s guidance
● Assist patients with paperwork and healthcare bureaucracy challenges
● Coordinate laboratory specimens for send-out
● Help maintain a clean, courteous, and professional working environment
● Organize and maintain supplies
● Assist doctor with appropriate clinical matters when necessary
● Possibly assist with website and small research/writing projects
● Possibly assist with phlebotomy
● Interest in the healthcare/mental health professions (e.g. pre-med, post-bacc, pre-nursing, pre-PA, pre-therapist/psychology/social work, etc.)
● Interest in HIV Treatment and Prevention, Gay Men’s Health, Travel Medicine, Humanism in Medicine
● Undergraduate degree in any field
● Friendly and can-do attitude with patients and coworkers, and a great sense of humor
● Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
● Detail-oriented, a team player, and a flexible/adaptable nature to work in a continuously evolving environment
● Computer/IT proficiency
● Ability to speak Mandarin a plus, but not necessary
● Opportunity to put your idealism into action by helping a historically medically underserved community
● Resume-building opportunity to gain exposure to the healthcare profession
● Opportunity for pre-health mentoring
● Friendly and kind office environment
● Pay rate $15-$18/hour depending on candidate experience
● Paid time off
● Beautiful and historic Greenwich Village location
● Opportunity to study in the case of occasional downtime (MCATs, USMLEs, post-bacc
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to, and do not discriminate on the basis of, race, color, religion, creed, gender/sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression (including transgender status), national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, pregnancy, military status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local laws.