ASPIRE is an intensive summer program held during the month of June that will prepare you for the medical school application process and help you strengthen your application, expose you to health disparities, and introduce you to the community of Maywood, IL.
The core of the ASPIRE program focuses on:
- Small group learning in a diverse and inclusive cohort
- Faculty and medical student mentorship
- Expert instruction and advising
- Mission-centric focus aimed at helping participants understand the need to increase justice in health
- Honing leadership and advocacy skills as it relates to health equity
- Dedicated time to work on your application
May 31, 2023-June 30, 2023
Enrollment for the program is capped at 16 students. We encourage you to participate in the program a the year before you plan to apply to medical school (i.e., ASPIRE 2023 is geared toward people planning to apply in the summer of 2024). Participants will receive a $2500 stipend for their participation. Housing at Loyola's Water Tower Campus in downtown Chicago and transportation will be provided for the duration of the program.
Program Highlights include application preparation, clinical experience, health equity curriculum, and training for community engaged practice.
- Shadowing opportunities with Loyola physicians and clinical skills practice.
- Service experiences with community partners.
- One-on-one mentoring from a current Stritch student.
- One-on-one mentoring with an admissions staff member.
- AMCAS application guidance (both technical and personal).
- Personal statement workshop.
- Interviewing skills and a mock interview with an admissions committee member.
- Application writing strategies to prepare for supplemental application.
- Professionalism aspects of the admissions process and beyond (appropriate follow up, how to email faculty members, how to dress for interviews, etc.).
- A mock selection committee meeting to better understand the admissions process.
- Focus on health disparities and access to healthcare
- And more!