Harvard School of Dental Medicine’s chapter of the American Student Dental Association is offering a seven-week virtual course entitled “Introduction to Dentistry” for undergraduate students interested in pursuing a career in dentistry. This program aims to provide a multifaceted, unique introduction to the field of dentistry and will feature lectures and small group sessions led by current Harvard dental students. Topics will include the science of dentistry, specialty fields within dentistry, and how to successfully apply to dental school (see full list below). This course will meet on Tuesday evenings during the spring of 2022 over Zoom.
Overview of Curriculum:
- Introduction to Dentistry (lecture)
- Dental Anatomy (lecture)
- Dental Caries (lecture)
- Dental Public Health (lecture)
- Pediatric Dentistry (lecture)
- Early Childhood Caries (small group tutorial)
- Periodontics and Endodontics (lecture)
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Head and Neck Anatomy, Trauma (lecture)
- Mandibular Fracture (small group tutorial)
- Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry (lecture)
- Orthodontics, Facial Analysis, and Esthetics (lecture)
- Getting into Dental School (lecture + student panel)
Dates & Times:
- February 22, 6:30-8:30 PM EST
- March 1, 6:30-8:30 PM EST
- March 8, 6:30-8:30 PM EST
- March 15, 6:30-7:30 PM EST
- March 29, 6:30-8:30 PM EST
- April 5, 6:30-7:30 PM EST
- April 12, 6:30-8:30 PM EST
Attendance: This is a great opportunity for pre-dental students, but there are limited seats. Given the large number of applicants in the past, selections will be made on an application-basis again this year. For fairness, we also expect that those who sign up for this course are able to attend every session. Those with perfect attendance will receive a certificate of completion at the end of the course.
Signing up: The application to sign up will open on January 14 at 12 PM EST, and will close on January 28 at 7 PM EST. Completing the application sooner will NOT increase your chances of being accepted.
To sign up: Complete the following application, which opens January 14 at 12 PM EST: https://forms.gle/8r5VuatgJTKBFTtf8
Fee: The cost to participate in this course is $15, but we will waive the fee if it will cause significant financial hardship. Please DO NOT pay the fee until you have received an email from us indicating that you were selected.
What to Expect After Signing Up: After applications close on January 28, we will notify you via email if you have been selected. If you do not hear from us by February 12, you were unfortunately not selected to participate.
We have been offering this course for a number of years and are pleased to be able to offer it again in 2022. We consistently receive positive feedback from participants that express that the course is engaging, informative, and strengthens their interest in dentistry.
Please email us at email@example.com with any questions. We look forward to meeting you!