Sherket B. Peterson, Ph.D., a Minority Medical Education Program (MMEP) alum, is excited to offer a scholarship opportunity to Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP), Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP), Summer Medical Education Program (SMEP), and MMEP alums! With the support of the ADEAGies Foundation and the SHPEP National Program Office, we are proud to announce the Dr. Sherket B. Peterson Scholarship for Research & Innovation application is now open. The application submission deadline is Thursday, Sept. 15, 2022, at 11:59 p.m. EST, and the winner will be notified by Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2022.
The Dr. Sherket B. Peterson Scholarship provides financial aid in the form of a $3000 scholarship and mentorship to further the education of underrepresented minority (URM) students interested in pursuing a career in healthcare. The scholarship honors program alumni who are interested in pursuing a career in a field that will enhance health research or innovation and have the potential to impact the world.
One student will receive a $3000 award and one-year of mentorship. A portion of the award, $2500, will be distributed to the awardee’s US college or university on their behalf for tuition expenses and $500 will be distributed directly to the awardee for other educational expenses such as books and/or laptops, grad school applications, etc.
An applicant must:
- Be enrolled as a full-time student at an accredited U.S. college or university and have completed at least 2 years of undergraduate studies (rising juniors and above)
- Maintain good academic standing
- URM pursuing a career in healthcare
- Be an alumnus of the program (SHPEP, SMDEP, SMEP, or MMEP)
- Demonstrate a drive to succeed in their pursuit of a health career, leadership, a passion to create change in their community
- Demonstrate a commitment to advancing new ideas, concepts, approaches, policies, programs, technologies, potential treatments, or products, that improve healthcare and health disparities.
Be sure to follow us on social media for updates regarding this new scholarship!
Contact the SHPEP National Program Office
Phone: 1 (866) 587- 6337 (toll-free)
Social Media: linktr.ee/SHPEPconnect
SHPEP is a national program funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation with direction and technical assistance provided by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) and the American Dental Education Association (ADEA)