The Doctor of Medicine (MD) is the terminal degree for allopathic physicians. Physicians may take on numerous roles in their careers, including seeing patients, conducting research, teaching, managing health care facilities, and developing health care policy, but caring for individuals’ health is at the heart of the profession. Physicians may treat patients as primary care physicians or as specialists. (Learn more about becoming a doctor from the Association of American Medical Colleges).
Required Courses: Check individual schools. Often include:
- General Chemistry with lab (2 semesters)
- Organic Chemistry with lab (1 semester)
- Physics with lab (2 semesters)
- Introductory Biology with lab (2 semesters)
- Biochemistry (1 semester)
- Math: 1 semester calculus, 1 semester statistics
- English (2 semesters)
- Psychology, Sociology (to facilitate MCAT preparation)
For more details: HPA Pre-Health Preparation: Academic
- Begin working with HPA in the fall, two years before intended entry.
- Apply in June, about 16 months before intended entry.
- The Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) is the required standardized test and comprises four sections: Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems; Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills; Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems; Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior.
- Apply to most schools through the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS). Application opens in early May for submission in early June. Separate applications to certain schools in Texas (TMDSAS) and Ontario (OMSAS).
- Medical schools prefer/require a committee letter of recommendation. See HPA Application Process: Committee Letter.
Find a program: AAMC Directory of Schools and Colleges
For more information:
- HPA Career of the Month: MD (pdf, September 2017)
- HPA Career of the Month: Physician Scientist (pdf, December 2017)
- HPA Career of the Month: Primary Care Medicine (pdf, May 2015)
- HPA Career of the Month: Psychiatry (pdf, May 2018)
- HPA Career of the Month: Pediatric Medicine (pdf, October 2018)
- Association of American Medical Colleges