Applying to medical, dental, or veterinary school is a complicated and time-consuming process that requires meeting many important deadlines. The process through which you’ll work with HPA at Princeton will help you prepare your application materials. This process also helps HPA get to know you better, so that a unique, detailed committee letter of recommendation may be prepared on your behalf. All of the materials you’re asked to provide, along with the HPA Pre-Application Interview (PAI), feed into the overall application process.
Here is what you need to do first:
- Attend an Applicant Workshop. The workshop is offered multiple times in the fall, and once in early spring semester for any students who were abroad in the fall. All juniors, seniors and alums who attend the Applicant Workshop will be given access to a Blackboard Coursesite for current applicants. Alumni can contact HPA and we will send a link to a webinar of the presentation.
- Complete an Applicant Intake Form and submit a copy of your resume. This is our indication that you plan to apply.
- Attend an Applicant Intake Appointment (mandatory if you haven't met with HPA in the past year). Contact HPA to schedule.
- Read through Section I of the Applicant Handbook, provided at the workshop (available to alums on our Applicant Resources website). Be sure that you understand the steps and timelines involved.
- Decide who you will ask for letters of recommendation, and make appointments with them in order to ask in person. See the Request for Letter of Recommendation form for details—provide each recommender with a copy of the form.
- Schedule a Pre-Application Interview (“PAI”) with the Office of Health Professions Advising. Interview sign ups will take place starting in January.
- Work on HPA Forms 1-4 and writing your activities list, short essay answers, and autobiography (as described in the Applicant Handbook). At least one week before your scheduled interview, you will submit one copy of these documents to Health Professions Advising. Keep a copy for your files. What you give us on these forms will help to focus your interview and committee letter on issues that would be of interest to medical schools.
We look forward to helping you navigate the process of applying to and getting accepted to health professional school! We enjoy guiding you through this process and supporting your applications, and we hope that you will keep us informed of all developments and decisions throughout your application cycle.
Due in the fall semester (before scheduling PAI):
Due one week before PAI:
- Forms 1-4: available via Coursesites
- Autobiography, short essays and activities list
Due in the summer:
- Course List available via Coursesites
- File Completion Form available via Coursesites